A general evacuation order for the northern Saskatchewan community of Southend has been lifted.
The evacuation order had been in place since last week due to a nearby wildfire.
About 579 residents had been evacuated to Prince Albert, Saskatoon and La Ronge.
The rescindment of the general evacuation order was posted on the Prince Albert Grand Council Health and Social Development Facebook page effective 5 p.m. Monday.
Because of smoke concerns, it is recommended a number of residents remain out of the community for the time being. These include those with heart or lung problems, on dialysis, children under one-year-of-age, elderly with mobility problems, disability concerns and prenatals due in June or July.
Steve Roberts, the executive director of provincial wildfire management, says the Woods fire, about 15 kilometres south of the community, has not moved any closer in recent days, but remains uncontained.
“That fire has not moved north toward the community or its access road,” he says. “That`s where we have been putting our crews and our efforts. The fire has grown in size to 9,320 hectares, but mostly to the south and to the southeast.”
Another non-contained fire in northern Saskatchewan is the Arthur fire, which is burning a few kilometres away from the McArthur River Mine site.
This fire is currently at about 7,900 hectares.
Roberts says the Border fire near Montreal Lake has now been contained.
There are 45 active fires in the province and this includes 55 new fires in the last four days.
(PHOTO: Southend fire. Pauline Clarke, Facebook.)