One of the leaders of a Sixties Scoop survivors organization says the government should not be in a rush to make an apology.
Alberta Premier Rachel Notley apologized to Sixties Scoop survivors on Monday and the Manitoba government made an apology in 2015.
However, Sixties Scoop Indigenous Society of Saskatchewan Co-Chair, Robert Doucette, says the government needs to take the necessary time to ensure they get the apology right.
“To put a timeline or rush this, I don’t think that’s in the best interests of the Sixties Scoop survivors or the province of Saskatchewan,” he says. “I just think we should take our time, get things right and go from there.”
Doucette says what is more pressing is that the province hold consultation meetings with Sixties Scoop survivors across Saskatchewan. He also says an apology from the province need not necessarily be tied to financial compensation.
“It is not one of our discussion points and we didn’t go to the table asking for that. We knew fully well what was happening in the background and I’m thankful that the province is actually sitting with us and working in that direction.”
Doucette says in terms of further compensation for Sixties Scoop survivors, his group will wait and see what happens with a few class-action suits that are before the courts.
The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations had previously indicated any government apology should be tied to some form of financial compensation to survivors.
The province had also previously said it would only meet with the FSIN or the Métis Nation of Saskatchewan in terms of an apology.
However, in recent weeks, the government has changed course and been meeting with SSISS.
(PHOTO: Robert Doucette. File photo.)