Kevin Roberts, the director of sport, culture, and recreation for the Jonas Roberts Memorial Community Centre, has been recognized with the inaugural Youth Sport Involvement Award by the La Ronge and District Chamber of Commerce.
The Lac La Ronge Indian Band member received the award at the 1st Annual Tri-Community Awards & Recognition Gala hosted by the chamber on Saturday.
Roberts notes that sports programs in the community have had a profound effect on the youth.
“Sports overall, I mean, there is personal and social and health benefits that we see with kids being involved and being engaged in programming,” says Roberts. ” It’s a good outlet for kids just to be physically active, that is the one thing we try to do regardless of what sport it is. If it’s an activity and it keeps kids occupied, I think that’s our biggest goal.”
The director believes there are challenges in bringing sports to the north, but that his team at the JRMCC is making a significant difference in the community.
“We don’t get the opportunities or have the facilities or resources that the some of the southern cities do,” says Roberts. “But we’re making some dents and some inroads in that and trying to improve our facility. It’s always about kids having the opportunity to participate.”
Nine other individuals and businesses were honoured at the March 17 gala.
- Citizen of the Year: Colleen Clark
- Leader of the Year: Matt Klassen
- Non-profit of the Year: Woodlands and Waterways Visitor Centre
- Youth Involvement: Colin Jolly
- Business of the Year: Lake Country Co-op La Ronge
- Retail Business of the Year: Home Hardware
- Restaurant of the Year: Cravings Late Night Food
- Contractor of the Year: Mid-City Electric
- Automotive Business of the Year: JAM Automotive and Powersports
Saturday’s gala was sold out.
(PHOTO: Kevin Roberts with his son, Sage. Photo courtesy of Kevin Roberts.)