Saskatoon Police say a 33-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder and offering an indignity to human remains, following the discovery of a body in a rural location northwest of the city.

Police say the remains located on November 14 are those of Karina Beth Anne Wolfe, based on a DNA test.

She was 20 years old when reported missing in July, 2010.

Saskatoon Police received assistance from Forensic Anthropologist Dr. Ernie Walker, the RCMP Cold Case Major Crime Unit and the Corman Park Police Service.

On Thursday, a suspect was arrested and he is scheduled to appear in Saskatoon Provincial Court on Monday after appearing before a Justice of the Peace on Friday.

Allison Edwards, spokeswoman for Saskatoon Police, said when Wolfe disappeared in the summer of 2010 police had lots of leads that led nowhere.

“This is something the investigators are doing right now. They’re trying to figure out, you know, what was the timeline in her final moments, her final hours. And I think that that’something that may play out in court,” she said.

Next of kin was also notified on Thursday.

At this time Wolfe’s family is requesting privacy. They’ve been active in the cause of missing and murdered indigenous women, participating in walks and speaking at public events across Saskatchewan. In the years after Wolfe went missing, they continued to search for her.

At a Saskatoon fundraiser in 2013, Wolfe’s brother Desmond said he wanted to bring greater awareness to all Aboriginal women who are currently missing.

“This event is just to let people know there are missing people and that there are supports out there, we have family, and we want to make sure we show the public there are things that can be done,” he said. “We also want to get the message out that there are missing people, missing families, and it is not an easy thing.”

More information on the case is expected to be released by police on Monday.

Edwards says they’ve been able to provide answers to the family. On Monday, police will allow them to go to location where the body was found.

“We wanted to give some time to the family to be able to visit that spot and have any special ceremonies they feel appropriate in the meantime,” she said.