The northern hamlet of Timber Bay has lost the only building it had for community functions to a weekend fire.
The Saturday afternoon blaze completely levelled the hamlet’s recreation centre.
Mayor Peggy Hennie says she cried all the way home after she got the “very heartbreaking” call in Prince Albert — and community members are still in shock:
“It was used for pretty well everything. That was where we got together for our suppers, our carnivals, our bingos, our weddings. It was our main area for anything happening.”
Hennie says police do not suspect foul play, but they are still investigating.
She says the hall will need to be replaced, but she’s not sure yet how that will happen.