A well-known restaurant and conference centre at Anglin Lake has burned to the ground.

Land of the Loon resort first opened its doors in 1972.

However, sometime early this morning it caught fire and was soon enveloped in flames.

Owner and general manager Dylan Greening says he was asleep when he received news of the fire.

“We were woken up by a neighbor around 4:30,” he says. “Fire-trucks were already on the scene. By the time we got down, the building was fully engulfed.”

He says the news is devastating.

“My family has had a cabin at the lake since the 1930’s so there’s a lot of history here,” he says.

Fortunately, though, Greening says the guest cottages, marina and store were unscathed by the fire.

RCMP are investigating the matter.