Charges Laid In 2005 PBCN TLE Scandal
Monday, November 08, 2010 at 13:31
Charges have been laid against two men in connection with an alleged theft and fraud of the Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation Treaty Land Entitlement fund.
Sgt. Laura-Anne McDance of the RCMP’s commercial crimes unit says the charges stem from a complaint laid in May, 2006.
Melvin Napoleon Merasty and George Kevin Sewap have both been charged with theft over $5,000 and fraud over $5,000.
McDance says the investigation was complex, and required a great deal of time.
Meantime, the chief of the band says he is aware of the charges — but that’s about all.
Darrell McCallum notes the alleged crime occurred before he became chief, but adds he will be monitoring the case before the courts and what comes out of it.
On March 18th, 2005, PBCN TLE trustees were alerted by a band lawyer that a $3.7-million TLE trust account was emptied over a four-month time period just prior to a band election.
Former Peter Ballantyne chief, and current Prince Albert Grand Council grand chief, Ron Michel said at the time that $2 million in withdrawals had been previously approved — a statement echoed by his successor, Harold Linklater.