Several Factors Behind Fatal Sturgeon Landing Fire

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at 14:36



The provincial fire commissioner’s office is urging members of the public to have a working smoke detector in their homes following a fatal fire in Sturgeon Landing last week.


David Albert Michel of Sturgeon Landing was killed in a house fire late Thursday night.


Fire Prevention Officer Kevin McEwen says the 47-year-old man might have survived if his smoke detector had worked.


So McEwen is reminding people to install smoke detectors in their homes — and make sure they work.


McEwen says there were a couple of other factors in the victim’s death — he was smoking, and he was impaired.


The fire remains under investigation.