New Status Cards Ready To Be Unveiled

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 13:21



Next month, First Nations people can apply for a new status card that could act as a passport for crossing into the United States.


Starting April 14th, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada will begin updating the status cards it issues.


It has enhanced security features that will protect people from identity theft and fraud, and they have been conditionally accepted by the US Department of Homeland Security as an official border crossing document.


INAC spokesperson Patricia Valladao expects there will be a high demand for cards around the initial date, but assures First Nations citizens their present cards will still be valid for some time.


Valladao says Indian Affairs’ priority will be processing the cards of those whose cards are expiring or live near the Canada-US border.


She notes those under 15 years of age only need a birth certificate to cross the border.


To obtain the new card, people need an original birth certificate in either long or short form — both are accepted.


Interested individuals can visit INAC’s website or call 1-800-567-9604 for more information.