Fire Devastates Northern Fishing Camp
Monday, June 02, 2003 at 17:47
A northern Saskatchewan man is recovering from burns suffered in a fire that destroyed a large part of a fishing camp on Lac La Ronge early Sunday morning.
The man works as a guide at the Northern Escape Lodge on Hunter Bay.
Apparently, the fire began while he was filling a plastic gas container from a large gas tank. It’s believed friction or static from turning the cap on the container ignited the fumes.
He received his burns when the fire first flared up, but was able to alert one of the camp’s owners and her daughter, who were sleeping at the time.
The 3 were whisked off the island by a number of fishermen who just happened to be traveling nearby with their boats.
They were then taken to a nearby fishing camp, where the injured guide was airlifted to hospital.
A helicopter with a bucket was called in and put out most of the fire before it could reach the cabins on the island. However, the rest of the buildings and property in the camp have been destroyed.