MBC News Twitter

Dial Positions


Real People Play-Off

Make Your Choice - Tuesday August 22nd 2017
 

MBC Affiliates

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network

WAAB

S A A B




Current News
UPDATE: Kinoosao fire evacuees to start returning home PDF Print E-mail
Written by mbcnews   
Friday, 18 August 2017 13:36

Kinoosao. Photo courtesy of Jerry Clarke.

Hours after officials with Manitoba Sustainable Development said a fire, which started in that province, was two kilometres from Kinoosao, the province of Saskatchewan says community leaders have spoken with officials and decided to return home.

Earlier this week, 22 people from the community near Reindeer Lake were evacuated as the blaze approached from the east.

An e-mail from the Saskatchewan government spokesperson sent late Friday afternoon says Kinoosao’s leaders “have met with officials and Emergency Social Services is reporting that they have decided to return home.  The trip will start tomorrow, but because of the distance, they are unlikely to be back in Kinoosao until Sunday. It will be conditions permitting and we will try to get you the update on Monday, if they are once again back home.”

Earlier on Friday, Gary Friesen, the Manager of Manitoba's Wildfire Program, said winds were expected to be from the west and that should improve the situation. He said crews from Manitoba remain in the area.

"There's crews in the area, and we're still working on that fire and watching it as well for any issues for the community or the area,” he said.

He said precautionary work had already been done in the area.

"That entails putting up sprinkler systems and fire pumps with hoses attached to them just to keep the area wet,” he said.

Last Updated on Friday, 18 August 2017 16:49
 
Prince Albert Police say to thank officers after facing “multiple dangerous situations in the line of duty” PDF Print E-mail
Written by Chelsea Laskowski   
Friday, 18 August 2017 13:25


Some of the weapons seized. Photos courtesy Prince Albert Police Service.

Prince Albert police are commending officers for managing to avoid serious injuries on all sides during a “scary” arrest earlier this week where a suspect seemed to be reaching for a concealed weapon.

The police service is encouraging the public, if they see any officers this weekend, to thank them for their commitment to keeping people safe during a difficult week.

“This week officers were involved in multiple dangerous situations in the line of duty. Officers and civilian members have also had a heavy case load this week with the call volumes and severity of incidents,” Prince Albert Police Service wrote on Facebook.

The most recent dangerous incident started around 4 a.m. on Thursday when patrol officers caught sight of a suspicious, stolen vehicle outside a known criminally active home in the West Flat. When officers approached the vehicle, a man and woman got out and tried to walk into the home while passively avoiding the officer’s “verbal commands for compliance,” according to a police news release.

Police say they witnessed the man take actions that looked like he was attempting to conceal a possible weapon, and he resisted arrest. Police say at one point it seemed the man was reaching into his waist to grab something, and during the struggle other officers arrived to help out and say a knife fell from the male suspect.

It appears officers used OC spray to get him under control, and he was later treated by paramedics for minor injuries. There were two other people in the car who were also arrested, and police later found two guns, a knife, a BB handgun, and ammunition in the car.

The quick thinking and techniques used by the arresting officers kept anyone from getting seriously hurt, according to the news release.

Insp. Jason Stonechild took to Twitter to commend the officers, writing “Scary incident for our patrol members last night, thanks to skill and professionalism no one was hurt, including the bad guy! Great job guys.”

Prince Albert Police wrote on Twitter, “If you see a cop plz take a moment to thank them. Members have been working overtime & in scary situations this week keeping us safe.”

Criminal charges allege that Saskatoon's Shannan Brennan Cote, 19, was the suspect who resisted arrest. The court docket for his first appearance showed he also faces past charges of possessing drugs for the purpose of trafficking, breaches, mischief, and careless use of a firearm.

Cote and three others are charged with firearms offences and possession of a stolen vehicle: Gilbert D. Beauchamp, 21, and Dale Derrick Badger, 20, both of Big River, and Loretta Sakebow, 29, of Pelican Lake.

Beauchamp faces past charges of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, tampering with a serial number, and failure to provide a breath sample.

They all made their first court appearance in Prince Albert on Friday and have been remanded until their court date next week.

 

Last Updated on Friday, 18 August 2017 13:30
 
Preliminary hearing set for Prince Albert Amber Alert suspect PDF Print E-mail
Written by Chelsea Laskowski   
Friday, 18 August 2017 11:26


Jared Charles. Photo courtesy Prince Albert Police.

Prince Albert's first-ever Amber Alert suspect is scheduled to undergo a preliminary hearing late this fall.

Jared John Charles, 19, appeared by video court on Friday as the hearing was set. He has been in custody since July 4, the same day an eight-year-old girl was abducted at a playground in the city. Her identity is now protected by a publication ban.

She was found abandoned that night, wandering towards an acreage outside the city and Charles was arrested from a business in the city soon after.

Now, he faces charges of aggravated sex assault, abduction, kidnapping, abandoning a child, criminal negligence, sexual interference, invitation to sexual touching and forcible confinement.

If his case goes to trial, he has chosen to be tried by judge and jury at the Court of Queen's Bench.

His two-day preliminary hearing will take place at the end of November. Hearings of this nature are meant to determine whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial, and are subject to publication bans.

Charles had previously been charged with abduction after two boys were taken from their La Ronge home, but the matter did not go to trial as prosecution found that Charles had been known to the boys and they had come willingly to play video games with Charles at his grandmother’s home in St. Louis.

Charles also faces a charge of failure to report to his probation officer in La Ronge back in May, which will be addressed at the November court dates.

 

Last Updated on Friday, 18 August 2017 11:59
 
« StartPrev12345678910NextEnd »

Page 3 of 3098