Dial Positions


Real People Play-Off

Tuesday March 31st, 2015 - Make Your Choice...
 

MBC Affiliates

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network

WAAB

S A A B




Current News
Sisters of Murder Victim Hold Overnight Vigil Outside Prince Albert Courthouse UPDATED PDF Print E-mail
Written by Joel Willick   
Tuesday, 24 March 2015 13:05

Sisters of Monica Burns spent last night outside in Prince Albert just ahead of a scheduled bail hearing for her accused killer.

Monica was found murdered on a remote snowmobile trail northwest of the city earlier this year.

Todd McKeaveny, the accused in her death, was scheduled to have a bail hearing at Prince Albert Court of Queen's Bench on Tuesday afternoon.

Monica's sisters -- Sara Carriere-Burns, Michelle Burns and Katherine Burns -- walked on Monday from City Hall to the courthouse, where they spent the night.

They say they are trying to be a voice for Monica, as well as all missing and murdered Indigenous women.

"It's a really big issue in Canada and there is not enough awareness.  There is also not enough help for these women," said the sisters outside the courthouse this morning.

They say they hoped their presence helps make an impact on today's bail hearing.

"I hope they see that our sister is loved and she can't come home because we can't post bail to bring her home.  She doesn't have a say at all, we are her voice."

The bail hearing had been adjourned to next week in a quick court appearance.  Michelle says the short hearing was frustrating, but they will be patient.

"Justice will come and it's not the end.  It's just a start and for Monica we will do it again and fight for her."

She says the support of the family is one of the most important things right now.

"We want to try and stay together instead of fall apart... we do have our moments where we do fight, but we love each other and want to stay together and stick together."

The sisters say it was a cold night, but tarps and a lot of coffee helped them stay warm.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 March 2015 16:02
 
Saskatoon Officially Unveiled as the Host of the 2016 World Indigenous Business Forum PDF Print E-mail
Written by Fraser Needham   
Tuesday, 24 March 2015 13:02

About 1,000 delegates from around the world are expected to head to Saskatoon next summer for the 2016 World Indigenous Business Forum.

The announcement was formally made at the English River Business Complex, just south of the city, Tuesday morning.

This will be the first time the international event has been held in Canada.

Indigenous Leadership Development Institute President Rosa Walker says the forum will provide a tremendous opportunity for Saskatchewan Aboriginal organizations to showcase their economic development projects and learn from others.

"Our whole goal is not only to create a network but to get something meaningful out of it," she says.  "So, I think in Saskatoon we're pretty confident that's going to happen."

City of Saskatoon Director of Aboriginal Relations Gilles Dorval also says he believes the Saskatoon area has a lot to show the international community in terms of successful Aboriginal economic endeavours.

"In Saskatoon we've got a lot of partnerships where it's not just the city, as a municipal government, but you'll see there's a lot of partnerships in the private sector," he says.

The event costs about $600,000 to put on of which the City of Saskatoon has agreed to put in $150,000.

Walker says the remaining amount will be generated through registration fees and sponsorships.

The first World Indigenous Business Forum was held in New York City in 2011.

It has also been held in Australia, Namibia and Guatemala.

The 2015 forum will be held in Hawaii.

The Saskatoon forum will be held Aug. 24-25 next year at Teachers' Credit Union Place.

An international Indigenous music festival will also be held in conjunction with the business forum.

 
Judge Continues Injunction to Keep Current Fond du Lac Chief in Place PDF Print E-mail
Written by Joel Willick   
Tuesday, 24 March 2015 12:53

A court injunction keeping Earl Lidguerre as the chief of Fond du Lac First Nation will continue.

The injunction had been issued in October after a leadership dispute arose between Lidguerre and Napoleon Mercredi.

Lidguerre was the undisputed leader until the band’s executive advisory council served him impeachment papers.

Mercredi has said he was sworn in as the new chief after being the sole candidate in a subsequent by-election.

A Queen's Bench justice then issued the court injunction to keep Lidguerre as chief until the larger issues could be sorted out.

No one from the Mercredi side appeared during a scheduled hearing at a Prince Albert courthouse today, prompting the judge to continue the injunction.

Lidguerre's lawyer, Anil Pandila, says the band's electoral officer and advisory council can no longer attempt to remove Lidguerre from his position.

"They have been noted for default of defence and it will be our intention to seek judgment against them," said Pandila.  "They weren't represented, their lawyer has withdrawn and they didn't appear today and we will be proceeding accordingly."

Pandila says he will be discussing with his client about what further action they may take.

"It will probably be in the nature of a permanent order or there may be a monetary judgement, as well, for all damages sustained to Chief Lidgeurre and the Fond du Lac First Nation."

The judge and Pandila noted that Fond du Lac's advisory council and election officials were aware of today's court date.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 March 2015 15:56
 
« StartPrev12345678910NextEnd »

Page 10 of 2103