MBC News Twitter

Dial Positions


Real People Play-Off

Tuesday November 28th, 2017 -- Make Your Choice...
 

MBC Affiliates

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network

WAAB

S A A B




Current News
Charge stayed for one suspect in Simon Grant's death PDF Print E-mail
Written by mbcnews   
Thursday, 16 November 2017 11:46

An 18-year-old man charged in the death of La Ronge restaurant owner Simon Grant appeared in La Ronge Provincial Court today.

Matthew Nagy-Charles had been charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder, but that charge was stayed this morning.

Grant was killed during a robbery inside his restaurant last April.

Since it’s possible for a stayed charge to be reinstated within a year, Grant’s widow, Cora Laich says she will be pushing hard to make sure that happens in this case.

"I can assure you that my family and myself will be making sure that the charge against this individual is revisited at the appropriate time," Laich says. "We will be taking the necessary steps to make sure that anyone involved in Simon's murder will be held accountable."

Last month, 19-year-old Austin Bird was sentenced to seven years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter in Grant's death.

Two youths, who can't be named, have also been charged with second-degree murder in the case.

Their matters are still before the courts and a publication ban remains in effect for the proceedings.

Meanwhile, Laich hopes people remember her husband for his contributions to the community and not for his death.

"Simon was very respectful, and took the time and patience and provided encouragement to many teenagers in La Ronge," Laich says. "I would like to just make sure that that is kept alive, and that the circumstances of his death don't overshadow the kindness and goodness of Simon towards the youth in La Ronge."

Laich and her family have since relocated out of La Ronge to another Saskatchewan community.

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 November 2017 13:06
 
Big River First Nation woman receives conditional sentence for defrauding Fine Options program PDF Print E-mail
Written by Travis Radke, Kelly Provost   
Wednesday, 15 November 2017 14:47

Sylvia Joseph (right) outside court following August 2017 court appearance on the Big River First Nation. Photo by Chelsea Laskowski.

A sentence has been handed down in a fraud case involving the Fine Options program on the Big River First Nation.

Although the prosecution had pushed for jail time in previous court proceedings, Sylvia Joseph has received a 15-month conditional sentence.

Joseph has also been ordered to pay a $200 surcharge to the court and make a mandatory $800 donation to the Agency Chiefs Child and Family Services group home on the reserve.

Earlier this year, she pleaded guilty to eight counts of fraud related to charges that she took money in exchange for signing off on unperformed community service hours while she worked with the band-run Fine Options program.

Joseph initially faced more than 100 charges of forgery, defrauding the government, falsifying books and documents, and using a forged document after the RCMP started investigating a complaint against Joseph in mid-2013.

She is scheduled to appear in court again on May 15 to determine how much of the $800 she has paid to the group home.

 
Former Conservative MP Hopes To Become Saskatchewan's First Indigenous Premier PDF Print E-mail
Written by mbcnews   
Wednesday, 15 November 2017 11:34

Rob Clarke announces Saskatchewan Party leadership bid. Photo courtesy Rob Clarke for Saskatchewan Party Leader campaign.

The former Conservative MP for Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River says it is time to hit re-start in the race for premier.

This morning, Rob Clarke announced he was in the running for leadership of the Saskatchewan Party.

His campaign theme is a "Fresh Start for Saskatchewan".

He says he is the only candidate that can provide that, and he is the only candidate that can prevent the NDP from making more gains.

“I am the only true outsider in this race, the only candidate capable of delivering a bigger, better party," he said. "I am the NDP’s worst nightmare. This is the most important election we have seen in over a decade."

Before entering politics, Clarke was an RCMP member for 18 years.

He then represented the northern Saskatchewan riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River for seven-and-a-half years before being defeated by the NDP’s Georgina Jolibois in 2015.

Clarke is also a member of the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation.

There are now six candidates in the running to replace Premier Brad Wall. In addition to Clarke, they include Scott Moe, Gord Wyant, Ken Cheveldayoff, Tina Beaudry-Mellor and Alanna Koch.

The leadership convention will be held on January 27.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 November 2017 14:15
 
« StartPrev12345678910NextEnd »

Page 9 of 3203