MBC News Twitter

Dial Positions


Real People Play-Off

Make Your Choice! Tuesday February 28, 2017
 

MBC Affiliates

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network

WAAB

S A A B




Current News
RCMP Investigate Sudden Death At Pelican Narrows PDF Print E-mail
Written by mbcnews   
Tuesday, 21 February 2017 06:56

File photo.

People in Pelican Narrows may notice an increased police presence today as Mounties investigate a murder.

RCMP were called to a home in the community around 1:00 am Tuesday about a sudden death.

Police say a male was taken to the local health centre and pronounced dead.

The Major Crime Unit is conducting a homicide investigation.

The name of the victim has not been released and an autopsy will be done later this week.

So far, there is no word on a suspect or charges.

Meantime, residents of Pelican Narrows are asked to respect all police barricades and direction given by police.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Pelican Narrows RCMP.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 February 2017 07:18
 
First Nation Hunters Could Be Facing Tougher Rules PDF Print E-mail
Written by Manfred Joehnck   
Friday, 17 February 2017 13:01

 

Saskatchewan Environment is considering limiting the amount of export permits for American hunters as a way of reducing illegal outfitting on some First Nations.

In a strongly worded speech to the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation convention in Regina today, the executive director of enforcement and compliance for the ministry says the status quo is not an option.

Kevin Callele wouldn’t say how many First Nations outfitters are involved in illegal practices, but he does say there is definitely a problem in the Battlefords and Meadow Lake areas.

Callele says there is no way the amount of animals being harvested on reserve land can be supported by the land base. He says game is being taken on private land without permission.

"The illegal activity that is going on in the landscape can’t continue, we need to get a handle on this," he says. "The First Nations leadership are also in agreement that we need to find a better solution."

To find that solution, Saskatchewan Environment has an open invitation to all 31 Saskatchewan First Nations offering outfitting services, but Callele says the response has not been very good.

He is encouraged by the response from the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, and the issue will be discussed during a meeting set for next month with FSIN Chief Bobby Cameron.

The executive director of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Darrell Crabbe, says the issue of illegal outfitting has been getting worse.

"Certainly we have been getting a lot of messaging from a lot of different sources that the problem is rampant out there," he says.

Crabbe says it is not just illegal outfitters who should face a crackdown. He says the penalties for American hunters knowingly participating in illegal activity should be much more severe.

Last Updated on Friday, 17 February 2017 13:07
 
NDP Opposition Call for Sixties Scoop Apology PDF Print E-mail
Written by mbcnews   
Friday, 17 February 2017 12:56

The NDP Opposition is calling on the Wall government to finally make good on a promise to apologize for Saskatchewan's role in the Sixties Scoop.

It follows an Ontario court ruling in favour of Sixties Scoop survivors that recognized the federal government's failure to provide proper care for children.

During the Sixties Scoop, First Nations and Metis children were taken from their parents without consent and placed in non-Aboriginal households.

Parents were typically not told where their children were.

In an email to MBC, the government says it remains committed to a formal apology, and is continuing to work on finding a date that will work for all parties.

Last Updated on Friday, 17 February 2017 12:57
 
« StartPrev12345678910NextEnd »

Page 5 of 2887