Dial Positions

Real People Play-Off

Make Your Choice - Tuesday September 16th, 2014
 

MBC Affiliates

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network

WAAB

S A A B




Current News
Inquest Jury Into Police Shooting Death Makes No Recommendations PDF Print E-mail
Written by Joel Willick   
Friday, 12 September 2014 14:46

The coroner’s jury at the inquest into the death of Ryan Natomagan-Nelson has given no recommendations.

This means the jury felt that there was nothing else the police officers could have done to prevent the incident.

Ryan Natomagan-Nelson was fatally shot by Prince Albert police in July, 2013.

Alma Wiebe, councillor for the coroner’s office, says it is unusual for a jury not to make any recommendations.

“But every jury has its own job based on its own facts and I really respect what they did here, they obviously came to the conclusion that there was nothing that they could find in the evidence that supported a recommendation,” said Wiebe.

Throughout the inquest the jury heard testimony from family members, police officers, paramedics and experts.

It was established that Ryan Natomagan-Nelson was shot three times by Prince Albert police in July, 2013 after he had ran at them with a knife.

Natomagan-Nelson later died in hospital.

According to Sergeant Shawn Stubbs, the chief firearms officer in the province, officers are trained to use their firearms when faced with a knife.

Sgt. Stubbs says police officers are trained to shoot at the largest part of the body to better stop the threat.

Both police officers who shot Natomagan-Nelson said it will be an incident that will affect them the rest of their lives.

Shirley Nelson, aunt of the deceased, had this to say on behalf of the Natomagan-Nelson family:

“We are sorry that things came out the way they happened, shots were fired and a person died.  We cannot bring anybody back from the dead, so we have to move on.”

 

Last Updated on Friday, 12 September 2014 14:49
 
Tentative Agrement Reached In Cameco Labour Disruption PDF Print E-mail
Written by David Smith   
Friday, 12 September 2014 09:51

The first-ever work stoppage at two northern Saskatchewan uranium operations owned by Cameco is now over.

Mike Pulak, a spokesperson for United Steelworkers local 8914 says a tentative agreement was reached late last night.

Pulak says the process of getting the workers back on the job at the Key Lake mill and McArthur River mine is underway.

"Employees will be returning to work. So they will be contacted immediately by the employer about arranging to get back to work."

Pulak says once union members have looked over the tentative agreement, a ratification vote can be held -- but so far no date for that has been set.

The workers had been off the job for almost two weeks.

Cameco locked out the workers and halted production at the two sites on August 30th after being served strike notice by over 500 unionized workers three days earlier.

Their previous contract expired last December.

 
New Flight Option In Northern Saskatchewan Includes Amenities Rarely Seen In Province's North PDF Print E-mail
Written by David Smith   
Friday, 12 September 2014 09:50

Pronto Airways is introducing a new aircraft today which will be use to transport passengers to a number of northern destinations.

The plane seats 44 and is purported to be the largest passenger aircraft being used in northern Saskatchewan.

Pronto spokesperson Ed Jozic says the Friday flights are an introduction to the new service and are in high demand.

"Starting in Saskatoon and Prince Albert -- and then up through Wollaston, Stony Rapids, Fond du Lac, and Uranium City -- we've had such an outpouring of support. Our passenger loads have exceeded the ability to carry all those passengers, so we've had to add an additional flight."

Jozic says the new aircraft also feature a stand-up cabin, a lavatory and a flight attendant.

Last Updated on Friday, 12 September 2014 10:03
 
« StartPrev12345678910NextEnd »

Page 1 of 1875