Dial Positions

Real People Play-Off

Make Your Choice - Tuesday September 2nd, 2014
 

MBC Affiliates

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network

WAAB

S A A B




Current News
Defence To Seek A Mistrial In Hales Murder Case PDF Print E-mail
Written by Fraser Needham   
Friday, 29 August 2014 16:25

The defence in the Douglas Hales murder trial has made it clear it will be seeking a mistrial when the two sides return to a Saskatoon courtroom next month.

Hales is on trial for first-degree murder in the death of 25-year-old Daleen Bosse of Onion Lake Cree Nation who was last seen in May 2004.

Justice Gerald Allbright had been scheduled to render a decision in the trial Friday but this has been delayed due to a Supreme Court ruling on Mr. Big undercover police sting operations last month.

In overturning the murder conviction of a Newfoundland man, the nation’s highest court found police relied too heavily on Mr. Big techniques of inducements and veiled threats to obtain a confession.

Undercover RCMP officers used a Mr. Big operation to solicit a murder confession out of Hales in 2008.

Defence lawyer Bob Hrycan says based on recent the Supreme Court ruling, a mistrial is the most logical way to proceed.

“Our position is that when the law changes this significantly and this dramatically, it’s almost impossible to revisit the evidentiary landscape of a trial,” he says.

However, prosecutor Matt Miazga says the Crown believes the case against Hales remains as strong as it was before the Supreme Court ruling.

He also says the Hart case in Newfoundland and the case against Hales are not similar.

In the Hart case, it was never clear whether a murder had actually occurred.

Hales led police to Bosse’s remains and has admitted to burning her body.

This latest twist is only one of several delays in the trial.

It took the trial six years to go to court after Hales was arrested in 2008 as he proceeded to fire and change a number of lawyers.

Miazga says Bosse’s family is eager to see a decision in the case but at the same time they understand the reasons for this latest delay.

“I think they understand that it’s important to go though things carefully and I think they realize it’s better to wait another few weeks, get things done correctly, have a proper decision – than rush through something, come up with a verdict that may not be appeal proof, so to speak, and then end up having a new trial a year or two down the road,” he says. “So, I think they understand this is important to go through things carefully.”

Aside from a mistrial, Justice Allbright could choose to re-open the existing trial.

Or, after hearing arguments by the Crown and defence on the Supreme Court ruling on Sept. 22, he could decide to render a decision at this time.

A number of friends and family of Bosse who were in court Friday were wearing t-shirts with the logo “Honouring Our Sisters: Missing but not forgotten” on them.

 
Coroner's Inquest Into Death Of PA Man Shot By Police To Start Next Month PDF Print E-mail
Written by Joel Willick   
Friday, 29 August 2014 16:22

A public inquest into the death of Ryan Natomagan-Nelson has been scheduled for September in Prince Albert.

The 26-year-old man was fatally shot in an altercation with Prince Albert police in 2013.

Two police officers had entered a building on July 9 when Natomagan-Nelson confronted them with a knife.

It is believed both police officers fired their guns.

Natomagan-Nelson was taken to Victoria Hospital and later pronounced dead.

In the inquest, the chief coroner will establish the circumstances around his death and make recommendations to prevent similar deaths in the future.

The inquest will run through Sept. 8-12 at the Prince Albert Travelodge.

Coroner Brent Gough of Saskatoon will preside.

 
Deshcarme Lake Métis Local Says It Is Not Be Properly Consulted On Exploration Activities PDF Print E-mail
Written by Joel Willick   
Friday, 29 August 2014 16:19

A Métis local in northern Saskatchewan is voicing concerns over not being consulted on exploration activities on traditional territories.

Several citizens and dignitaries from Descharme Lake met on Aug. 25 to discuss what they say is a troubling trend of companies disturbing their lands without permission from local citizens.

Métis local president Delphine Montgrand says it is unacceptable how the government is ignoring their concerns and not consulting them on issues.

He says the government needs to stand by laws which require all Métis Nations and First Nations to be consulted on any impacts to their traditional territories.

In the meeting, the Dene Métis citizens said action must be taken to ensure their rights are respected.

They say they are willing to talk with the government on these concerns so everyone can benefit from development but the time for inaction has passed.

 
« StartPrev12345678910NextEnd »

Page 2 of 1862