Apply by March 23, 2015
Missinipi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) has an immediate opening for a News Reporter to be based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
MBC is a progressive community-owned radio network serving Saskatchewan’s First Nations & Métis population. Broadcasts originate from La Ronge, the hub of Saskatchewan’s North. MBC is available in over 70 communities, including the three largest urban markets in the Province of Saskatchewan, creating one of the most extensive Aboriginal radio networks in Canada.
Working from a home-based office, the Saskatoon news reporter would be required to:
· Provide broadcast-ready written story submissions with audio clip segments.
· Ensure stories are factual, current and aired quickly and accurately.
· Inform MBC’s News Director of any major breaking story.
· Generate interesting story ideas and bring new story ideas to the table daily.
· Develop news (and occasionally sports) stories as assigned.
· Conduct and edit audio news (and occasionally sports) interviews, write scripts and present the finished product in a timely and professional manner.
· Cover local news (and occasionally sporting) events with reporting on the scene or live as needed.
· Develop stories, investigating and researching a broad range of issues.
· Be available for any major event at any time as determined by the News Director.
· Prepare all submissions according to station format, style, content and philosophy.
· Be available to update MBC News online web and social media feeds with the latest stories.
· Applicants must be professionally trained in radio broadcasting with at least two years of radio newsroom or related experience or hold a degree in journalism.
· Exceptional written and oral communication and organization skills, including excellent knowledge of social media.
· A strong sense of community news and local involvement.
· Ability to work independently.
· Excellent computer proficiency with audio gathering and clip preparation/editing capability with capacity to troubleshoot minor computer difficulties.
· Must be a self-motivated, detail-oriented, energetic self-starter who can take direction.
· Understanding of Aboriginal culture and issues relevant to First Nations and Métis Peoples is an asset.
· Excellent knowledge of local, regional and national news.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for accessing newsmakers and attending events.
Please forward resume, news script writing samples, current audio demo and at least two work-related references, in confidence to:
Director of Operations
Missinipi Broadcasting Corporation
P.O. Box 1529
La Ronge, SK S0J 1L0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline Monday March 23, 2015
MBC Network Radio is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Radio Broadcaster - Weekends
(La Ronge, SK)
Apply by e-mail to